Friday, June 29, 2007

Forgivness: A Key to Serenity

It all started on an absolutely beautiful Saturday morning. The weather was sunny and the humidity was down. This was truly a perfect day for one of my favorite pastimes.... Going yard sale-ing. I love looking for hidden treasures that I might one day take to The Antique Road Show to be appraised and find out that it’s worth millions! Yea, I know I’m a dreamer but that’s ok.

Well I stopped at yet another yard sale to see what I could find to consign at an auction my husband and I frequent on Wednesday nights. (It’s our weekly date) What did my wandering eyes see as I walked up the driveway on that perfectly awesome Saturday? A cool looking wooden base and the porcelain top to hold one of those large water bottles. Hmmm....if I had bottled water delivered to my home I would like to have a stand like this. Perhaps I can re-sell it at the auction.

I continued to spook around a bit and then walked up to the seller and asked what she wanted for the water bottle stand. She told me $4.00 and I said, "Great! I’ll take it" and proceeded to give her the money. The sale was completed. It was about that time we heard the woman standing next to me watching the whole procedure say, "NO, NO. I WANTED THAT." The seller then said to her that she never indicated that she definitely wanted that. "I asked you for the price," the woman said. She was then informed that she had walked away without another word. Just asking for the price doth not a sale make.

Because I use a cane to walk with for support, the seller’s sister helped me trek the item all the way to the end of the driveway to my car. I placed my cane along side of the car while we each took a side and loaded the stand and jug into the back seat of my little Eclipse. I then turned to retrieve my cane and I couldn’t believe my eyes, but it was no where to be seen! We re-traced my steps all the way back to where the sale was made. It had vanished. Or did it? We both just looked at each other and couldn’t imagine that anyone would be so mean to take away someone's cane in revenge. Could they? Oh well, I thanked her for her help and continued on home. What else could I do without my cane?

When I arrived home and was lamenting to my husband about the whole scene, I called that woman a name I am not proud of and immediately looked up to the heavens and asked the Lord’s forgiveness. (Why upward I’ll never know because my Higher Power who is my Lord lives within my heart and is with me always. I only have to look within my self)

It was then the most wonderful feeling came over me. I forgave that poor woman. After all she must have been having a bad day to have reacted like she did. I have no way of knowing what her life is like, or what emotional problems she may be having. It is not up to me to judge. So, I just simply forgave her and that was that.
Forgiveness........ another key to ............ Serenity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi

welcome home

smile
jo