Friday, June 1, 2007

What Ever Happened To Kindness, Honesty and Love?

My husband and I were talking the other evening about all that we had seen and heard on the news that night. The subject of honesty cam up regarding our politicians today, and how they think nothing of not just stretching the truth, but openly lie about what they have an issue with, or a situation to make them look good so they can win the election. Or win any other reward they are working towards with the people's support, which also means you and me. We are drawn into the fray unwillingly. We become a part of it either way through the mediums of our learning about the news of the day. We have to look at our government's make up. The Government of the United States is made up of people, ordinary people like you and me, who at some point in their life have either decided to become dis-honest, unloving and without integrity.They have gone astray like lost sheep and hence their actions are hurting our country. Our country is losing the respect and trust it once had.

There was a time when I was a little child of about 9 or 10 years of age, and I wanted a diary to write heaven knows what in it, but I wanted it so badly and i didn't have any money with me. I went into this little gift shop that I had eyed the diary in and went right to it. I looked around and didn't see anyone around me watching, so I slipped the diary into my purse.I then went and chatted with Mrs. Pritchard who owned the gift shop, and she me well, and everyone in the town knew her as well. Anyway, back to the diary. I went home and went right up to my room and
hid the diary under my mattress. I thought I was in the clear. A little later in the evening there was a phone call for my Mother which I though nothing of because she was always getting phone calls it seemed to me.

Mom turned to me (we were in the kitchen just before dinner) an asked me point blank,"How did you get the money for the diary you took from Mrs. Pritchard's gift shop?" Of course I tried to cover my tracks, but Mom knew the truth. I finally ran upstairs and retrieved the diary and took it to my Mother.Mom never yelled, or hit me or any of that. She had the best "punishment" I could have received. I had to take the diary back to Mrs. Pritchard and tell her what I did. Talk about scared and embarrassed. That was the slowest walk I ever took to Mrs. Pritchard's shop.I went in and luckily there was no one else in the shop, so thank God we were alone. I went up to her and while telling her what I had done wrong by stealing that diary,I handed it over to her.

Mrs. Pritchard was a very kind lady, and just asked me why I did it. She said if I had wanted it she would have set up small payment for me from my babysitting money.She forgave me on the spot, and I cried and cried and cried. Finally I was all cried out, and she wet a paper towel and gently dried my tears and lovingly sent me home. I learned a valuable lesson that day and I never stole or lied again since that day.Thank you God for a conscience, and for a loving Mom and a loving shop owner, Mrs. Pritchard.

I'm often wondering what I can do for mankind today to make this world a better place, I'll tell you what I think I can in my next blog. Maybe all of you will decide to you want to help as well. It all starts with one person. You, and you, and Me.

No comments: